News Everyday

Vipers Petition FUFA Over ‘Unfair Officiating’ Against Kitara


Vipers SC has lodged a formal petition with the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA), expressing grievances over what they claim to be unjust officiating during their recent Uganda Cup match against Kitara FC.

The reigning cup holders, Vipers FC, faced elimination at the hands of Kitara FC on April 14 in a dramatic encounter that culminated in a penalty shootout in Masindi.

In a letter penned by Vipers CEO Simon Peter Njuba, the club highlighted incidents of what they described as “bad and biased refereeing” during the match officiated by center referee Ali Sabilla.

Njuba outlined specific instances, stating, “In the 66th Minute, Kitara FC was awarded a controversial penalty kick that was never valid as the purportedly fouled player engaged in simulation.”

“Furthermore, in the 87th Minute, a Vipers player was fouled in the penalty area, yet no penalty was awarded despite the clear infringement.”

The CEO also referenced a previous encounter, stating, “In addition to the last-minute penalty awarded to KCCA FC in a previous match against Vipers SC, it is disturbing that match officials overseeing Vipers SC matches are not held accountable, despite clear evidence against them.”

Expressing disappointment, Njuba emphasized the need for fair play without discrimination against any club, urging FUFA to address their concerns promptly.

The Venoms were unable to advance past the quarter-final stage, succumbing to a 5-4 defeat in a penalty shootout against the Royals after a thrilling 2-2 draw (AET) at Masindi Stadium.

Despite a spirited performance, Karim Watambala’s missed penalty proved costly as the Royals clinched victory in front of an enthusiastic home crowd.

Vipers took the lead early in the second half when Sentamu capitalized on Allan Okello’s cross, breaking the deadlock at Masindi Stadium.

However, Kitara fought back, earning a penalty in the 69th minute after Jude Semugabi looked to have been fouled in the danger area. Paul Mucureezi stepped up and successfully converted from the spot, leveling the score at 1-1.

In extra time, Allan Okello was brought down in the opponent’s box, resulting in a penalty for Vipers. Bright Anukani seized the opportunity and restored Vipers’ lead with a well-taken penalty.

But Kitara refused to concede defeat, as Mucureezi once again found the net from the penalty spot with eight minutes remaining, equalizing the score at 2-2 after a handball was penalized in the box.

With no further goals scored in extra time, the match concluded 2-2, leading to a tense penalty shootout where Kitara prevailed the winners.

It’s strong to note that Vipers were beneficiaries of a first-round league victory over Kitara who had a would be equaliser disallowed in added time due to an incorrect offside call by assistant referee Juma Osire, and the Venoms won 2-1.

Following the incident, Osire faced repercussions, receiving a six-month suspension from FUFA.

The petition comes at a time when the two teams gear up for their league clash on Friday, still in Masindi!

Vipers Petition FUFA Over ‘Unfair Officiating’ Against Kitara

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.